We are proud to announce that we are going Green! Our goal is to have less than 5% waste at our event. We will provide a prize to the “Greenest Vendor” as an incentive for everyone to do their best at going green. Going Green is a great way to not only show our commitment to the environment, but to create a living model for event participants and the community on how easy it really is to go Green.
Green initiatives for Vendors
Tips to being Green:
- Select local, organic and seasonal foods.
- Whenever possible, offer finger foods so as to use fewer utensils.
- Consider replacing plastic bowls (for serving chili and soups) with bread bowls and using cones for ice cream.
- Paper napkins are compostable and can replace bulkier plates
- If you must use plates, cups, bowls, cutlery, etc., do not use Styrofoam or plastic
- Provide vegetarian and vegan options.
- If serving non-vegetarian options, choose sustainable seafood, free-range chicken and grain-fed beef.
- Offer reusable containers for purchase and single-use containers that are recyclable or compostable.
- Avoid use of unnecessary disposable items (e.g. straws and stir sticks).
- Use items that are made from recycled content (e.g. plates and napkins), or better yet, use reusable dinnerware, flatware, and/or linens.
- Use large containers for condiments and beverages instead of individual packets, cans or bottles.
- Donate excess food to a charity.
- DO NOT USE Styrofoam (polystyrene) – there are alternative materials that are less harmful.